Here’s what you need to know:


Video player loading
The police fired tear gas canisters and flash grenades on Monday to clear out protesters so President Trump could visit St. John’s Church, which was damaged by a fire the night before.CreditCredit…Erin Schaff/The New York Times

After a week of unrest, Trump threatens to deploy the military on U.S. streets.

Tear gas and flash grenades were deployed against peaceful protesters outside the White House as military helicopters swept low over the streets of the nation’s capital. Stores in Manhattan were ransacked, leaving behind a wake of shattered glass and boarded-up windows. In Los Angeles, residents were warned to avoid Hollywood because of looting “on foot and via caravans.”

That was how the seventh day of largely peaceful protests over the death of George Floyd descended into another night of chaos marked by violence and destruction. Across the country, the police arrested hundreds of people at the same time as scores of protesters reported being injured in clashes with law enforcement.

A nation that was already reeling from a pandemic that has claimed more than 100,000 lives, sent the economy into a tailspin not seen since the Great Depression and forced millions to shelter at home for months is now confronting the most widespread civil unrest in half a century.

There were reports of more than six police officers shot and injured in incidents around the country overnight, including four officers in St. Louis. Scores more officers were injured when drivers plowed into their ranks, with some of the violence captured on video.

President Trump, in his first extended public remarks on the unrest, threatened to deploy the military if state and city officials did not quash the looting and other violence.

His declaration, an extraordinary exertion of federal powers, came as the police used tear gas and flash grenades to disperse peaceful protesters so that the president could visit a nearby church and pose for photographs with a Bible.

Washington’s mayor called the use of force “shameful,” and Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington said she was “outraged” that the president had gone to the church “after he threatened to basically rain down military force.”

The unrest has overshadowed efforts by peaceful protesters to demand that the nation root out systemic racism and the harsh policing tactics that have led to the death of Mr. Floyd and numerous other black people before him.

The latest from around the country:

  • In New York, a curfew put in place by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. did little to deter protesters and looters, who made their way into the iconic Macy’s department store in Manhattan.

  • In Philadelphia, an armored vehicle bearing the insignia of the Pennsylvania State Police fired tear gas into hundreds of protesters who had gathered near downtown. Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, is scheduled to visit the city on Tuesday to address the unrest.

  • In Dallas, protesters were arrested and charged with obstructing a highway by marching on the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge. Clay Jenkins, the Dallas County Judge, allowed peaceful protests to continue near the county courthouse past a citywide 7 p.m. curfew. He cautioned that protesters could be arrested if they left the property. “I support peaceful protest and radical transformation,” he said.

  • In Minneapolis, Terrence Floyd became the first member of George Floyd’s family to visit the place where his brother died, and told a crowd that the violence of recent days troubled him. “If I’m not over here wilding out, if I’m not over here blowing up stuff, if I’m not over here messing up my community, then what are y’all doing? What are y’all doing?” he said. About 15 minutes after curfew, a crowd gathered at the spot and clashed with the police.

ImageProtesters sat in the street outside the Minnesota governor’s residence in Minneapolis on Monday.
Protesters sat in the street outside the Minnesota governor’s residence in Minneapolis on Monday.Credit…Victor J. Blue for The New York Times
  • The mayor of Louisville, Ky., fired the city’s police chief after the owner of a local restaurant was killed when police officers and National Guard troops shot toward protesters.

  • In Chicago, the Justice Department arrested a man whom it accused of traveling across state lines to start riots, engage in looting and attack law enforcement officers. The man, Matthew Lee Rupert, 28, was arrested after visiting Minneapolis and, according to the complaint, posting a video of himself on social media in which he could be seen setting fire to one store, looting another and distributing explosives.

  • In Austin, Texas, the police chief said that a black protester who had been shot in the head by officers was in critical condition at a hospital, one of several cases in the city of protesters being injured by nonlethal rounds.

  • Seattle issued its third curfew on Monday night, and the city’s suburbs prepared for possible further unrest.

Protests Over Racism and Police Violence

Protests have erupted in at least 140 cities across the United States in the days after George Floyd, a black man, died in police custody. Some of the demonstrations have turned violent, prompting the activation of the National Guard in at least 21 states.

Protests since Wednesday

National Guard activated

#g-protests_map_display_2-box , #g-protests_map_display_2-box .g-artboard { margin:0 auto; } #g-protests_map_display_2-box p { margin:0; } #g-protests_map_display_2-box .g-aiAbs { position:absolute; } #g-protests_map_display_2-box .g-aiImg { position:absolute; top:0; display:block; width:100% !important; } #g-protests_map_display_2-box .g-aiSymbol { position: absolute; box-sizing: border-box; } #g-protests_map_display_2-box .g-aiPointText p { white-space: nowrap; } #g-protests_map_display_2-330 { position:relative; overflow:hidden; } #g-protests_map_display_2-330 p { font-family:nyt-franklin,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-weight:500; line-height:7px; height:auto; filter:alpha(opacity=100); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=100); opacity:1; letter-spacing:0em; font-size:8px; text-align:left; color:rgb(0,0,0); top:0.6px; position:static; text-transform:none; padding-bottom:0; padding-top:0; mix-blend-mode:normal; font-style:normal; } #g-protests_map_display_2-330 .g-pstyle0 { height:7px; filter:alpha(opacity=25); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=25); opacity:0.25; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-330 .g-pstyle1 { height:7px; filter:alpha(opacity=30); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=30); opacity:0.3; font-size:7px; text-align:center; text-transform:uppercase; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-330 .g-pstyle2 { height:7px; filter:alpha(opacity=25); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=25); opacity:0.25; text-align:right; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-330 .g-pstyle3 { height:7px; filter:alpha(opacity=25); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=25); opacity:0.25; text-align:center; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-330 .g-pstyle4 { line-height:8px; height:8px; filter:alpha(opacity=25); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=25); opacity:0.25; text-align:center; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-600 { position:relative; overflow:hidden; } #g-protests_map_display_2-600 p { font-family:nyt-franklin,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-weight:500; line-height:12px; height:auto; filter:alpha(opacity=100); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=100); opacity:1; letter-spacing:0em; font-size:12px; text-align:left; color:rgb(0,0,0); top:1px; position:static; text-transform:none; padding-bottom:0; padding-top:0; mix-blend-mode:normal; font-style:normal; } #g-protests_map_display_2-600 .g-pstyle0 { height:12px; filter:alpha(opacity=25); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=25); opacity:0.25; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-600 .g-pstyle1 { line-height:9px; height:9px; filter:alpha(opacity=30); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=30); opacity:0.3; font-size:9px; text-align:center; text-transform:uppercase; top:0.7px; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-600 .g-pstyle2 { height:12px; filter:alpha(opacity=25); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=25); opacity:0.25; text-align:center; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-600 .g-pstyle3 { line-height:9px; height:9px; filter:alpha(opacity=15); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=15); opacity:0.15; font-size:9px; text-align:center; text-transform:uppercase; top:0.7px; position:relative; } #g-protests_map_display_2-600 .g-pstyle4 { height:12px; filter:alpha(opacity=25); -ms-filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=25); opacity:0.25; text-align:right; position:relative; } /* Custom CSS */ .g-protest_location_labels { text-shadow: 0 0 10px #ffffff, 0 0 5px #ffffff;


Salt Lake


Des Moines



Kansas City


Okla. City


New Orleans

Great Falls


Sioux Falls

Salt Lake City

Des Moines



Kansas City



Okla. City



New Orleans

Data as of May 31.

By Weiyi Cai, Juliette Love, Bill Marsh, Jugal K. Patel, Yuliya Parshina-Kottas and Joe Ward

Police officers are injured by gunfire and vehicle attacks.

Fireworks exploding in front of officers at the police headquarters in St. Louis on Monday.Credit…Colter Peterson/St. Louis Post-Dispatch, via Associated Press

Law enforcement officers were targeted in attacks across the United States on Monday night and Tuesday morning, including a shootout in St. Louis, as unrest over police brutality reached a new pitch.

In St. Louis, four officers were struck by gunfire in a prolonged shootout between gunmen at a protest and the police. The officers were taken to the hospital, and their injuries were believed to be “non-life threatening,” Chief John Hayden of the St. Louis Police Department said at a news conference.

Chief Hayden said that after a peaceful protest of a few thousand people, a smaller group had broken off, intent on causing mayhem. Some in the crowd were armed and “flourishing pistols,” the chief said. Two officers were shot in the leg, one in the foot and one in the arm, he said.

In Las Vegas, the authorities are investigating the shootings of two police officers. An officer was shot late Monday on the north end of the Las Vegas Strip, although officials did not immediately link that shooting to demonstrations that had moved through the area. The city’s police also said that an officer had been involved in a second shooting a couple of miles away, but they did not provide further details.

Elsewhere, police officers were intentionally struck by vehicles.

A New York officer was run over by a black sedan at 12:45 a.m. on Tuesday in the Bronx, according to a police spokesman. The officer was in stable condition on Tuesday morning, the police said.

That episode followed an attack on Monday in Buffalo, N.Y., when the driver of an S.U.V. sped through a line of law enforcement officers in riot gear, injuring two of them in an episode that was caught on video. One of the injured was a Buffalo police officer, and the other was a member of New York’s state police.

The S.U.V. drove around an armored police vehicle and sped off as shots were fired. The authorities said that the officers’ condition was stable and that those in the car had been taken into custody.

The Daily Poster

Listen to ‘The Daily: The Systems That Protect the Police

Why complaints of misconduct are rarely enough to discipline officers using excessive force.

After another night of looting in Manhattan, an 8 p.m. curfew is declared for Tuesday.


Video player loading
As New York entered a fifth night of protests, vandalism and looting broke out throughout the city.CreditCredit…Todd Heisler/The New York Times

Widespread looting erupted in Manhattan’s central business district, long a symbol of New York City’s prominence, with assaults on some of the city’s best-known retailers.

Macy’s flagship store in Herald Square, which had been shuttered like all other nonessential businesses in the city because of the coronavirus, was ransacked and several luxury stores along Fifth Avenue were looted.

Despite doubling the number of officers deployed to 8,000, the police struggled to respond to reports of stores under assault across the city. Nike, Anthropologie, Aldo, a New York Yankees store and two Rolex watch shops were among those targeted.

Mayor Bill de Blasio acknowledged that the Monday night curfew, announced several hours before it was to begin, had failed to quell the violence that marred the peaceful protests of previous days. As a result, he said, a curfew would be imposed again on Tuesday, this time starting three hours earlier, at 8 p.m.

“We’re seeing too much of this activity tonight,” he said in an interview on NY1, a local television station.

With curfews imposed in dozens of U.S. cities over the weekend, the measure is particularly striking for New York City’s eight million residents, who have been under strict lockdown orders because of the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed thousands of city residents.

With the city preparing to gradually reopen on June 8, the protests have injected a new level of unease, coming with not only police confrontations and widespread looting, but also fears that the coronavirus is spreading in the crowds.

With military helicopters in the sky and tear gas on the ground, Trump says officials must ‘dominate.’

President Trump on his way to visit St. John’s Church near the White House on Monday.Credit…Doug Mills/The New York Times

As President Trump delivered a speech in the Rose Garden on Monday in which he called himself “an ally of all peaceful protesters” yet vowed to send the military to states where governors could not bring rioting under control, the sound of explosions and screams could be heard in the distance.

After demonstrators in Washington ignored warnings to disperse before the city’s curfew, the police moved in with tear gas. And without directly addressing protesters’ frustrations, Mr. Trump said he would respond with an “overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled.”

In his first remarks from the White House since huge protests have swept the country, he called the looting and violent demonstrations “acts of domestic terror.”

Mr. Trump said he was among those “rightly sickened and revolted” by the death of George Floyd. But the president said that “if a city or state refuses to take the actions necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.”

Just after he concluded his speech, military police from the National Guard clad in camouflage and riot shields surged in front of a line of law enforcement officers pushing protesters back from the mouth of Lafayette Square outside the White House.

Officers used tear gas and flash grenades to clear out the crowd so that Mr. Trump could visit the nearby St. John’s Church, the site of a parish house basement fire on Sunday night. He stood in front of the boarded-up church to pose for photographs with a Bible.

Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington said she was “outraged” that Mr. Trump had gone to the church “after he threatened to basically rain down military force.”

Later in the evening, an Army Black Hawk helicopter descended to rooftop level in the city’s Chinatown district, kicking up dirt and debris and snapping trees that narrowly missed several people.

Military helicopters also performed a “show of force” maneuver that is often used in combat zones to scare away insurgents. The crowd quickly dispersed into surrounding blocks. Minutes later, the Black Hawk returned for another pass.

Most protesters rally peacefully across the country.

A peaceful protest in New York on Monday.Credit…Todd Heisler/The New York Times

Rewind, before the trash fires, lootings and arrests, to the scene outside Brooklyn’s Barclays Center on Sunday evening.

A woman who works as a Kennedy Airport gate agent stood in the crowd with the setting sun at her back, thinking about the time the police had hassled her little brother. Several feet away, a young media consultant handed out free pizza and water with friends at a table that one of them had brought along. A 40-year-old man held his phone aloft, sharing the scene with a longtime friend — the two were once beaten by the police as teenagers, he said.

Soon the group would march through the area’s broad avenues and narrow side streets, greeted with applause, honking horns and raised-fist salutes. Bryce Stewart, 35, of Bushwick, stopped his motorcycle and climbed atop it for a better look.

“This is beautiful,” he said.

That mood — of spirited, sometimes vulgar, but essentially peaceful indignation — lasted until dark. Then, as it had on each previous night of protest, the glass started to shatter.

It began Sunday around 10 p.m. in SoHo, when a knot of young men on the periphery of a large march from Brooklyn smashed a clothing store window and stole a jacket, dragging a mannequin out onto the sidewalk.

It was a pattern that repeated itself across the nation again on Monday.

The Times has reporters in dozens of cities. Here’s what they are witnessing.

Protesters visiting a memorial at the site of Geore Floyd’s killing in Minneapolis on Saturday.Credit…Victor J. Blue for The New York Times

Rebekah Castilaw stood on an island of grass along one of the city’s busiest thoroughfares — a protest of one.

She had brought a few signs with her, and the one she was holding at the moment had “Black Lives Matter” handwritten in black marker. As cars whipped past her, many drivers honked. Plenty of people rolled down their windows. Most cheered her on, and some hurled vulgarities.

“I’ll be out here every day,” Ms. Castilaw, who is white, said from her spot outside the University of Southern Mississippi. “It’s pitiful you don’t see more.”

About 200 people turned out in the suburban Minneapolis community of Maple Grove for a candlelight vigil. Their plan was to stand in silence for eight minutes and 46 seconds, the amount of time that the Minneapolis police officer had his knee on George Floyd’s neck.

But even after the time elapsed, people remained frozen in place for several minutes, with only the sounds of chirping birds and the hum of cars on the freeway behind them. Members of the mostly white crowd included children on scooters and bicycles, and they held fists in the air and carried “Black Lives Matter” posters as they stood along the freshly cut lawn of the town library’s driveway.

Mary Kriz, leaning against her bicycle, said she was outraged by President Trump’s message on Monday about using military force to break up protests. “It couldn’t be a more wrong solution,” she said. “What we’re hearing from George’s family is they want us to protest peacefully. It’s the worst possible solution.”

John Morrisette, who was clutching a candle and standing beside her, nodded and said, “Everybody is looking for peace right now, and war is not the answer.”

As a curfew approached, members of the National Guard appeared to be rolling into position in the part of town where Mr. Floyd died. More than half a dozen troops stood outside Chumps Chicken and the Cedar Bar & Grill, flanked by an array of armored vehicles. A few blocks away, a convoy of military vehicles and police vehicles with sirens flashing passed down the street.

Just as the sun set and a citywide curfew took effect, a huge gathering marched down the iconic Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards.

Police officers gave the group a wide berth, and things initially seemed peaceful. But soon groups peeled off, targeting the Gower Gulch shopping complex, smashing the windows of a kebab restaurant, and tearing the plywood barriers from a drugstore and a mobile phone shop.

Then the frenzy began. People wearing masks stormed the stores, their arms heavy with looted goods.

Officers quickly descended on the scene, but just as quickly, many demonstrators jumped into awaiting vehicles and fled.

“It’s been the last straw,” Janasia Crumpler, 20, said at a rally. “It’s a pandemic. I’m in good health. I came out for those who can’t and people who’ve been marching for 50 years.”

Ms. Crumpler said that like many people her age, she had first expressed her outrage on social media. But she was then compelled to take to the streets by the contrast in the government’s response to armed white demonstrators storming state capitals to protest coronavirus restrictions.

“It was out of control before when white people were rioting and you called them very good people — and they were rioting about the virus,” Ms. Crumpler said as she walked.

An American flag burned in the street nearby.

‘In every city there’s a George Floyd.’ Voices from the street.

For a week, cities across America have been theaters of dissent.

The people expressing their anger and frustration are individual pieces of a movement, like drops of water to a wave. Their strength is in cohesiveness. Yet they are strangers, divided by geography, age, color and experience.

Here are some of those making their voices heard.

Kennetta Hollivay in Minneapolis on Saturday.Credit…Victor J. Blue for The New York Times

Kennetta Hollivay stood outside her store, the Dollar & Up market, a block and a half from the spot where George Floyd died. She and her husband had bought the store in September, and although the store remained open through the pandemic, business was slow.

Ms. Hollivay, who has lived in the neighborhood her whole life, said she had felt compelled to join the protests, at least initially.

“When I first heard about it, I was like, ‘Oh, wow, the police have killed somebody else,’” she said. “And I was hurt. But once I saw video, it was like — that man died right before our eyes. I’ve never seen nothing like that before. Ever. Ever. I told my husband yesterday I’ve been having these dreams every night of this. Nightmares.”

Chad Bennett at a protest in Ferguson, Mo., on Sunday.Credit…Whitney Curtis for The New York Times

Chad Bennett and his father, wearing matching face masks, stood back in a parking lot as they watched protesters march past the Police Department in Ferguson, Mo., the site of numerous protests since Michael Brown, a black teenager, was killed by a white police officer there in 2014.

“When Ferguson happened, the whole world descended on us,” said Mr. Bennett, a graduate of Columbia College Chicago who works as an animator. “This time, it was like bam, bam, bam, city after city. I knew I had to be a part of it.”

Seeing the video of what happened to Mr. Floyd left him “numb,” he said. “It’s a silent rage, I guess,” he said. “I don’t know if I’m sad anymore. I’m just angry.”

Beth Muffett at a protest in Austin, Texas, on Sunday.Credit…Ilana Panich-Linsman for The New York Times

For most of her life, Beth Muffett, a stay-at-home mother and massage therapist, had positive interactions with law enforcement.

But by the time she and her friends had left a protest outside City Hall on Sunday, she had bruises on her stomach and knee from where one officer had struck her with his bicycle, and another bruise on her arm after she had fallen back onto another protester.

“There’s a lot of privileged white women, and I’m one of them,” Ms. Muffett said. “I’ve never had a cop treat me like that.”

On #BlackoutTuesday, artists go quiet to focus attention on protesters’ message.

Millions of people worldwide are heeding a call for a day of silence on social media to amplify black people’s voices under the hashtag #BlackoutTuesday.

The idea, which came in response to the death of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and others, began as a movement within the music industry as a campaign organized by Jamila Thomas and Brianna Agyemang, called “The Show Must Be Paused,” was amplified by several major record labels.

And when stars like Rihanna, the Rolling Stones, Drake, Quincy Jones and Billie Eilish shared the idea to their millions of followers, the idea took off. By early Tuesday, more than two million Instagram featured the hashtag #BlackoutTuesday, and hundreds of thousands tagged #TheShowMustBePaused.

Radio shows and music channels pledged to “black out” for the day, and the streaming platform Spotify said it would add eight minutes and 46 seconds of silence to some playlists and podcasts to echo the length of time that a Minneapolis police officer knelt on George Floyd’s neck.

Theaters and actors have joined in, pledging to mute themselves and instead listen. And bloggers and influencers likewise grasped hold of the initiative, with many replacing their profile photos with a black circle adding or a photo of a plain black square within their feed.

People with smaller followings are also letting their social media accounts go dark for the day, sharing posts from black people and donating to organizations that work to fight racism.

Reporting was contributed by Mike Baker, Kim Barker, Julie Bosman, John Branch, Kimiko de Freytas-Tamura, Caitlin Dickerson, John Eligon, Tess Felder, Manny Fernandez, Thomas Fuller, Russell Goldman, Miriam Jordan, Zolan Kanno-Youngs, David Montgomery, Jack Nicas, Elian Peltier, Adam Popescu, Austin Ramzy, Frances Robles, Rick Rojas, Marc Santora, Anna Schaverien, Dionne Searcey, Daniel Victor and Neil Vigdor.

Orignially published in NYT.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
error: Content is protected !!